Wednesday, May 22, 2013

WE ARE ONE Summary

183rd Annual General Conference of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. 

Priesthood Session, 6 April 2013


I love listening to President Eyring expound gospel principles. He always inspires me in ways I can personally apply. When I heard the title of this talk I considered how I might “be one” with the men and boys of the priesthood to whom this address was directed. [I do not typically think of myself in that manner but in an attempt to apply his talk personally, I pondered this concept.]

Initially, President Eyring’s opening remarks caused me to think we are all “one” in the need to obey commandments that are given to us, and we are also all “one” in the enjoyment of the promised blessings obedience brings to the faithful.

Doctrine and Covenants 38:40–42 gives each of us the commandment to go to with [our] might, with the labor of [our] hands, to prepare and accomplish the things which [God has] commanded ... in mildness and in meekness. And go ye out from among the wicked. Save yourselves. Be ye clean ..”

So, I wondered, how do I save myself? How do I become more clean? What commandment is President Eyring specifically discussing? I found the answer near the very first of his talk. “The Lord made it clear at the very start of this last dispensation that we were to take the gospel to all the world. ... Whatever our age, capacity, Church calling, or location, we are as one called to the work to help Him in His harvest of souls until He comes again.”

Ah yes – that one – that commandment! The commandment to look upon all our fellowmen as our brothers and sisters and love them enough to ignore problems and see what God sees in them.

President Eyring is clear, “ there is one way in which we are one ....” as he explains that to be one with the Lord and each other in purpose and action we must, “ sanctify ourselves and fulfill our individual duties to the commandment to take the gospel to all of our Heavenly Father’s children .... In 1923 ... there was a general instruction sent out to the members of the Church: Every member a missionary! ... For generations the prophets have told us that we must help the missionaries find and teach the honest in heart and then love those who come into the kingdom.”

Often President Eyring’s words are intimate and personal, and teach very effectively, as he speaks to listeners like a dear and loving friend. “[Y]ou know that the Lord always prepares a way to keep His commandments, you can expect that He will do that for each of you,” he confides to us before pointing out that obedience to the commandment brings happiness and joy. 

The desire for happiness, for not only ourselves but also for others, unites us in happy service. When we have “felt the effects of sin in [our] own lives and the marvelous healing of the Atonement , ... Out of love and gratitude for the Savior’s gift ... [we want] to help everyone ... escape the sadness of sin, feel the joy of forgiveness, and gather with them to safety in the kingdom of God  ... and [w]e share experiences in the way in which the Lord builds His kingdom on earth.”


Hmm – how shall I share the gospel today? What should I plan to do tomorrow? My opportunities are limitless. How can I serve? President Eyring has answered. I can serve and plan and share kindly, gently and enthusiastically every day with gratitude for my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment