Tuesday, May 21, 2013

COME UNTO ME Summary

183rd Annual General Conference of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Saturday morning April 6, 2013


Elder Eyring greeted attendees at the opening, Saturday morning, session of General Conference with emphatic and forceful words. “I am grateful to be with you in this conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  This is His Church. ... He is God, the Creator, and perfect. We are mortals subject to death and sin. Yet in His love for us and our families, He invites us to be close to Him.”

His talk centered on the example Christ showed to help us accept that invitation to be close to the Savior. When I listen to Conference, I think of the words I hear as if they are personally to me. How do I draw near to Jesus Christ?

President Eyring reminded us of the Savior’s words, “Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you (Doctrine and Covenants 88:63).” President Eyring added, “At this Easter season we are reminded ... of the promise ... [t]he Savior made ... [and] how, in our service to Him, He comes to us.”

When we seek him in prayer and scripture study, and when we stand as witnesses (Luke 24:46–48) of Jesus Christ by following his example to us, of obedience and service, we will be able to “come to Him”. After his death the Savior appeared to two disciples as they walked and they did not know him. “The Lord had come to them (Henry B Eyring April 2013).”  He taught them from the scriptures about the Messiah and when he was going to continue along the road “they constrained him, saying, Abide with us ... And he went in to tarry with them (Luke 24:28–29).”

“The Savior accepted that night the invitation to enter the house of His disciples near the village of Emmaus (Henry B Eyring April 2013).”  How can I, likewise, invite him to join me? How can I invite him to abide with me?  President Eyring reminds me, “We are under covenant both to lift up those in need and to be witnesses of the Savior as long as we live.”

He then comfortingly promised, “Many of you have loved ones who are wandering ... You wonder what more you can do .... You can depend on the Lord to draw closer to them as you serve Him in faith ... remember the Lord’s promise to Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon when they were away from their families on His errands: “My friends Sidney and Joseph, your families are well; they are in mine hands, and I will do with them as seemeth me good; for in me there is all power (D&C 100:1).”

He promises, “Your prayers and the prayers of those who exercise their faith will bring the Lord’s servants to help your family members. They will help them choose the way home to God, ... My promise ... cannot be that you will have every blessing you may wish ... But I can promise you that the Savior will draw close to you and bless you and your family with what is best. You will have the comfort of His love and feel the answer of His drawing closer as you reach out your arms in giving service to others. As you bind up the wounds of those in need and offer the cleansing of His Atonement to those who sorrow in sin, the Lord’s power will sustain you. His arms are outstretched with yours to succor and bless the children of our Heavenly Father, including those in your family.”

No comments:

Post a Comment