Thursday, May 16, 2013

OBEDIENCE BRINGS BLESSINGS Summary

183rd Annual General Conference of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Sunday morning April 7, 2013


President Monson taught, “‘Truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come. …The Spirit of truth is of God. … And no man receiveth a fulness unless he keepeth his commandments. He that keepeth [God’s] (sic) commandments receiveth truth and light, until he is glorified in truth and knoweth all things.’ (Doctrine and Covenants 93:24, 26–28) What a glorious promise! [God has] provided an unfailing guide—even obedience. A knowledge of truth and the answers to our greatest questions come to us as we are obedient to the commandments of God.”

Oh Say, What is Truth? (Hymn 272) expresses the angst of many hearts, including mine. All my life I have sought knowledge to understand my existence and purpose. In the Sunday morning session of April 2013 General Conference, President Monson said, “Such a search is undertaken by each of us.”

My first search was to know God. What does that word “God” mean, and to whom? I came to know the reality of a loving and eternal father in heaven. I came to know His Son, yet each answer merely presses new questions to my mind. “Yes, say what is truth? ‘Tis the brightest prize ...Truth, the sum of existence, will weather the worst, ... Tho the heavens depart and the earth’s fountains burst, Eternal, unchanged, evermore (Hymn 272).”

“This knowledge and understanding are available to all...” President Monson promised, as he quoted scriptures throughout his talk. I often find my answers, with the accompanying peace promised by prophets, in their words - the words of ancient and living prophets. I am especially grateful that these words are available to me so readily.

Our prophet rehearsed some suggestions, with examples, about “rules and laws to help ensure our physical safety [and] guidelines and commandments to help ensure our spiritual safety ....” all the while quoting additional prophets. Abraham, for example, was promised, “In thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice (Genesis 22:18).” Joseph F. Smith in October 1873 declared, “Obedience is the first law of heaven.” I posted this simple quote prominently. I write such quotes on my mirror for memorization. Gordon B. Hinckley observed, “The happiness of the Latter-day Saints, the peace of the Latter-day Saints, the progress of the Latter-day Saints, the prosperity of the Latter-day Saints, and the eternal salvation and exaltation of this people lie in walking in obedience to the counsels of … God (Dec 1971, 125)." 

“Obedience is a hallmark of prophets,” President Monson taught, “... It is essential for us to realize that we, as well, are entitled to this source of strength and knowledge. It is readily available to each of us today as we obey....” It is that simple, so why do I struggle so?

President Monson concluded, “... the great test of this life is obedience. ‘We will prove them herewith,’ said the Lord, ‘to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them ( Abraham 3:25 bold emphasis mine).’... Declared the Savior, ‘For all who will have a blessing at my hands shall abide the law which was appointed for that blessing ... ( Doctrine and Covenants 132:5). ... No greater example of obedience exists .... He gave to us a divine example [and instructs] ‘Follow thou me (John 21:22).’ ” As President Monson closes, I tearfully realize how far I have to go to accept his promise, “The knowledge which we seek, the answers for which we yearn, and the strength which we desire today to meet the challenges of a complex and changing world can be ours when we willingly obey the Lord’s commandments.”

No comments:

Post a Comment