Wednesday, May 29, 2013

THE SUSTAINING OF CHURCH OFFICERS Summary

183rd Annual General Conference of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Saturday morning April 6, 2013


Presented by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Second Counselor in the First Presidency

This talk was not required "reading" but I think this is one of the most significant parts of General Conference. I choose to include it, and yes - there are favorite 'quotes.' I look forward to hearing these words every conference.

Key Doctrines and Principles:

President Uchtdorf presented thenames of church leaders, one by one, to the members of the church. This is how the Savior knows each of us, individually. Seven times we were asked to public show our approval or disapproval. We also were invited to show our gratitude and appreciation four separate times.

Favorite Quotes:

“Those in favor may manifest it. Those opposed, if any, may manifest it.”
“ It is proposed that we sustain Thomas Spencer Monson as prophet, seer, and revelator and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints”

“It is proposed that we sustain the counselors in the First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators. All in favor, please manifest it. Contrary, if there be any, by the same sign.”

“Those who wish to join us in a vote of appreciation, please manifest it.”
 “Those who wish to join us in expressing gratitude for their excellent service, please manifest it.”

So What?

This procedure is significant and each one of us, individually and personally, may avow our choice to support and sustain or oppose. Twice a year we have this precious opportunity to manifest and witness publically our belief that prophets live on earth today. As I participate I do not pass over this solemn opportunity to witness this truth before God and man. I also consider careful what more it means to really believe these leaders speak for God as prophets. I set aside each week to study their words. I obtain a personal copy of the Conference Ensign and transfer my notes to it and keep it with my scriptures as soon as it is available. I also freely share the doctrines they teach in public media, personal interactions and with anyone that will listen in any type of way they will hear me.

No comments:

Post a Comment