Tuesday, September 24, 2013

2 WEEK PROVIDENT LIVING PLAN

Provident Living Plan Unit 1 Scripture Study:

Reading: "A Reservoir of Living Water" by David A Bednar 

Make and execute a plan to study the scriptures every day. This plan should take at least twenty minutes a day. Your specific plan might include what, where, when and how you will study the scriptures each day.

Reading, studying, and searching the scriptures is part of my daily routine. I am working my way through an overview of the entire scriptures by listening to the scriptures on my i-phone (or computer) each day. I began with the New Testament on September 14th when I finished my summer semester class. Prior to that, after reading the Book of Mormon through, I was studying individual topics in the scriptures and the words of prophets each day, for approximately for questions that my reading from the Book of Mormon had instigated—I just make notes in a small notebook to refer back to.  I am so pleased to have this assignment that correlates with and extends my personal study.

PLAN: listen to scriptures for 30 minutes daily, at least—this is in addition to my reading and study in lesson preparation times.

WHEN: during chore and/or exercise time (also driving/travel time)

WHAT:
Beginning with the New Testament, listen to the entire Quad. Proceed to D&C/Pearl of Great Price next,
and then the Old Testament and the Book of Mormon. This order is unusual but breaks “routines and habits”—often we follow a prescribed cycle in Sunday School. (This will be lasting more than 2 weeks obviously but it is surprising how quickly it goes.) 

HOW: I listen to the scriptures while I am engaged in tasks like mending, exercising, dishes, laundry etc that do not fully engage my mind otherwise. 

1) What did you learn throughout the course of this project?

I have read my scriptures regularly for approximately thirty years. My first personal study of the scriptures involved a comparison of the text of Isaiah with 2Nephi in the Book of Mormon. Isaiah is still my favorite book of scripture. His witness of the Savior left me "thirsty" for more. 

 In 1982 when the new editions of the scriptures were published, Elder Boyd K Packer explained that the older generation had not had the advantage and opportunity these new publications would provide to the rising generation to “know the Lord Jesus Christ [and be] disposed to do his will” (“Scriptures,” Ensign Nov. 1982, 53). 

There are many strategies to vary my studies and increase my understanding, including variations and combinations of the three methods Elder Bednar suggested: reading from beginning to end; topical studies; and “searching for connections, patterns, and themes” (Bednar, David A., A Reservoir of Living Water, 2007). This project has helped me realize that occasionally I neglect to be as carefully diligent as serious scripture study merits. I realized, during the past 2 weeks, I need to place God’s word more in the center of my life as a core priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment